Thursday, February 09, 2006

Yarn yardage for pattern as written?

I did my gauge swatch last night and got it dead on, which I wasn't really concerned about, but is kinda neat. Here's my question: the pattern calls for three 205 yard skeins and I have one 500 yard skein.

Does the pattern, as written, use up all three? Should I plan to make mine a bit smaller so I don't run out of yarn?

I haven't uploaded the pic of my swatch yet, but you can see the yarn in it's skeininess here. It's the one on the left.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

As I recall, the talk on knitty.com was that the pattern did use every scrap of the 600+ yards. I had extra for the first one I made so didn't worry about it at the time.

There was a good suggestion to keep track of how much you use on the increase portion and then save out that much for the decrease portion. That way you can knit as many of the straight sections as your yarn will allow and still have enough to finish.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

This will be my second clapotis so I must tell you that for my first I bout 2 skeins of Cherry Tree Hill Glitz which have 333 yards each! I got half way through my claoptis and ran out about 1.5 rows before the half way point so I thought I'd make it. Guess the second skein was smaller as I ran out well before the end and had to get a third skein! So my advice would be to leave off at least one increase, one straight set and one decrease or buy a second skein :-)

5:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Allison,

I'm on the Peninsula, too. I live in San Carlos. Where are you? I'd love to get together and work on our Clappys at the same time if you're game. Let me know. My DD (8) is also doing the KO - a tote bag. Maybe she could join us if she isn't in school.

Thanks!

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home